Psychology is the study of the mind, and involves understanding an individual’s thoughts, feelings and social behaviour.
There are many different types of Psychologists, including Clinical, Counselling, Educational and Organisational Psychologists. Psychologists complete a four-year degree at University, and an additional two years of supervised practice or, alternatively, obtain a Master’s Degree in order to receive registration as a Psychologist in Australia.
Psychology at Irabina
The Psychologists at Irabina are part of the Family Services Support Team. They conduct individual assessments for a range of purposes, including:
- Diagnostic Appointment – Diagnosis of a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Assessment – Assessment of a child’s social skills, behaviour, play, and cognitive abilities
- Planning, setting and measuring family-centred goals and outcomes
Psychologists at Irabina also work closely with children and their families in individual and group therapy sessions to improve outcomes through:
Child Psychology Sessions
- Assist in managing child anxiety
- Help the child to understanding feelings
- Assist with tolerance difficulties
- Assist with sensory difficulties
- Help to understand and manage emotions
Behaviour Management Sessions
- Help parents/caregivers and their children to better understand the functions of behaviour
- Develop behaviour management plans with practical strategies
- Teach social skills related to engaging in conversations, and making and keeping friends
How do Psychologists Work?
Psychologists at Irabina work as part of an inter-disciplinary team, providing resources and information as well as giving advice and support to individual families, professionals and members of the community. This includes conducting information workshops and programs for families, community members and other professionals working with children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Irabina is a family-centred practice. We recognise the importance of developing parenting and coping skills, in order to promote emotional health and family cohesion. The Irabina Psychologists provide sessions and counselling support to families to enhance the health and well-being of the family and to improve outcomes for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Our Psychologists have completed additional training programs in specialist areas to better assist children with autism and their families including ‘Applied Behaviour Analysis’ (ABA), the ‘Early Start Denver Model’ (ESDM), the ‘Parenting Children with Autism’ program, and play therapies such as ‘DIR Floortime’.
If you have any queries regarding Psychology services at Irabina, please contact the Head of Clinical Services, or one of our caring, professional Psychologists.