Position Description – ABA Therapist
Position Type: Casual
Reports to: Community Hub Manager
Irabina Autism Services specialises in delivering programs for children and adolescents diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families. We are the largest Autism specific service in Australia and have been providing services for the past 45 years. We recognise that having Autism not only affects the child but affects the whole family and therefore all programs delivered are family centered. We work alongside families to provide Autism education and skills to assist the children and parents or carers on their journey. Our focus is to provide opportunities for toddlers to adolescents to become the best they can be.
To transform the lives of people and families with Autism and associated conditions through best practice principles.
To be the center of Excellence for those living with Autism and associated Conditions.
Excellence: We strive for excellence in our programs and services by delivering what we promise and addingvalue beyond what is expected. We achieve through innovation, learning, and adaptability by the dedicated effort of every team member.
Integrity: We are dependable, trustworthy, and loyal, conveying sensitivity to your situation. We are consistent, transparent, and respect confidentiality.
Empower: We encourage self-belief, inspire growth and development by providing pathways to knowledge andresources. We foster flexibility and encourage your ability to make change.
Support: We show empathy, respect and acceptance for individual differences, approaches and styles. We are compassionate and caring.
To assume the role of ABA Therapist.
The ABA Therapist will work in a trans-disciplinary team of professionals, committed to family centred practice providing clinical skills, instruction and behaviour reduction protocols based upon the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis to children with Autism, and other related developmental disabilities in the home, community, and school settings. The ABA Therapist, will collect data on programs as needed.
The following core competencies are those that Irabina believes all ABA Therapists working with a child with autism in early intervention should be working towards. As an organisation we provide assistance to employees in attaining this knowledge, and experience.
- Understand abilities of children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder:
- Knowledge of typical childhood development and its applications.
- Knowledge of atypical childhood development and how this impacts on young children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Knowledge of how environmental factors influence interventions on a child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Ability to foster relationships with the child to support their learning, development and skills.
- Strengthen family participation in a child’s development:
- Understanding of a family centered practice and how this impacts on the interventions undertaken.
- Optimise community inclusion for young children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder:
- Understanding of what an inclusive environment is for a child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Within a child’s own community, ability to encourage the capacity of individuals who can support their inclusion.
- Service Delivery:
- Implementation of specific program areas where designated planning responsibility has been given.
- Deliver current play interventions in line with the identified needs of the child and best Education practice.
- To work efficiently and effectively within specified time frames allocated for service.
- To work in a trans-disciplinary team environment and communicate and collaborate with other professionals and support staff.
- Ability to provide information to the community in relation to your knowledge learnt from children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Engagement of others:
- Knowledge of the Early Intervention sector and how to work within this sector to provide improved outcomes for Irabina and families and children.
- Develop own Capabilities:
- Open to looking for and acting positively upon feedback in relation to your own performance.
- Open to providing feedback to team member’s performance.
- Participation in professional development of yourself and other team members.
- Ability to implement professional development to achieve better personal, family and organisation outcomes.
ABA Therapist Responsibilities:
- Support the generalization of goals and programs into home and community settings.
- Support ABA lead clinician in the development and implementation of ABA programs.
- Effectively communicate with parents and caregivers regarding client’s progress.
- Problem solve challenging situations with clients with the support of other relevant professionals (i.e. psychologist).
- Attend monthly review meetings with parents.
- Complete relevant administrative tasks and client documentation.
- Follow the prescribed behavioral skill acquisition and behavior reduction protocols.
- Collect, record, and summarize data on observable client behavior.
- Assist with parent and caregiver training in line with client’s individualised treatment and behavior reduction protocols.
- Provide direct client care in individual and group settings utilising a combination of intensive teaching and natural environment training arrangements, and as directed by the therapy team (i.e. or group settings).
- Utilise safe & appropriate handling procedures when working with clients.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
- Assist in the preparation of visual materials and activities for groups as required (i.e.by therapists or for 1:1 ABA sessions) and complete visual orders for families when ordered.
- Make note of any toys that require maintenance/to be replaced.
- Have a good understanding of and participate when required in emergency procedures.
- Assist with the preparation, general cleanliness (non-industrial) and cleaning up and packing away of activities in group / individual sessions.
- Attend to the physical, social and emotional needs of children on an individual and group basis.
- Achieve a warm and friendly relationship with children and parents that is supportive and responsive to their needs.
- Assist in developing good relations with families attending the service.
- Work positively and appropriately with all staff and parents.
- To have undertaken appropriate professional development related to work which may include on-the-job and/or off-site support.
- Encourage parents to participate in the program and the service’s activities.
- Complete CRM daily.
- Relevant qualification and extensive experience working with children who display behaviours of concern, disability, or other human service sector experience for working with families and children.
- Experience working with children aged 0-16 years, providing support in a classroom or 1:1 setting; experience implementing the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis; Educational, Speech, or Allied Health Services experience.
- Level 1 ABA Therapist training and experience working as an ABA therapist.
- Applicants will have to undergo a Working with Children check.
- Current Police Check.
- Level 2 First Aide – CPR to be updated annually as organised by Irabina.
- Current Driver’s License.
Basic & Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to lift up to 25 kilos.
- Must be able to lift and carry clients with adaptive equipment.
- Must be able to assume and maintain a variety of postures (kneeling, squatting, crawling, sitting, standing) for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to sit on the floor or stand for extended periods of time.
- Must have manual dexterity to perform specific computer and electronic device functions for data collection.
- Must be physically present at the assigned job location, which may include home, school, and community placements.
- Must be able to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Must have visual acuity to read and comprehend written communication through computer, electronic devices, and paper means.
- Must have reliable transportation and be willing and able to travel between different job sites within the Melbourne Metropolitan Area.
Conditions of Employment:
- To be employed in accordance with the Health Professionals and Support Services Award 2010, Support Services Employee.
- Irabina is a Public Benevolent Institution, generous Salary Packaging Options are available to all Irabina staff.
- Participation in Performance Review Procedures and all other quality improvement initiatives implemented by Irabina Autism Services.